Ayoola Onajide was born in Hull, Yorkshire, England on July 22, 1958. His father is from Ijebujesha in Osun state and his mother is from Benin City in Edo state. He attended International School, the University of Ibadan from 1969 to 1976 and later trained as a Chartered Architect in the United Kingdom. After qualifying, he returned to work at Godwin and Hopwood and later at James Cubitt and Partners in Lagos.
He founded ATO Architects Ltd in 1988, and in his capacity manages the practice of 27 architects in offices in Lagos and Abuja. ATOAL’s portfolio is uniquely diverse and includes work in Aviation, Housing, Masterplanning, Educational, Commercial and industrial projects for Multinationals, Government, Public and Private entities.
He has served as Chairman and member of various committees of the national body of the Nigerian Institute of Architects. He has been the Honorary Treasurer of the Association of Consulting Architects Nigeria (ACANigeria) and is currently the Vice President of the association.
Ayoola Onajide has designed several churches and has been the Diocesan Architect for the Anglican communion in Lagos for several years. He has received several awards including an Episcopal award for his service to the Anglican Church of Nigeria.
He is a director and member of several companies and associations and is currently the Chairman of Lead Capital Plc. He was invited to join the Council of the Nigerian Conservation Foundation in 2018.
Ayoola Onajide is an Honorary member of Ikoyi Club 1938 and a member of several other clubs including the Metropolitan Club, Lagos Polo Club and the Lagos Motor Boat Club.